Thursday, June 4, 2009

No Tables?

Before I start this, let me reiterate that I don’t expect society to change just because I'm fat. With that, a depressing situation that happened recently:

For most people going to a new restaurant is an exciting thing to do. New place, different décor, and new food, even if it’s a chain at least you’re happy it’s closer, or set up differently.

For me it’s usually a nerve racking experience. How busy is it going to be and is there enough room to walk between the door and my table, or am I going to have to ask every person to move their seat in? Am I going to knock whine glasses over with my large ass? Am I going to freak out and sit down at some random table and start eating their food screaming “I can’t make it any further, go on without me!!” Am I going to be able to use the restroom, well I guess I should say “fit” in the restroom?

Normal sized people don’t worry about these things…

Then there is the mother of all concerns regarding restaurants, do they have tables? Booths are like vice grips of the restaurant world. I might, might be able to squeeze into one, but even then it feels like someone is crushing my fat pillow.

So the other night I offer to take my girlfriend and her two roommates out to dinner at the new Chili’s. Should be no problem, been to a number of them, no problem. So we all meet there, all excited cause none of us have been out in awhile. Walk in, the overly cheerful high school girl asks how many, and of course I have to include “Can we have a table?”

Her response gleefully is “No I'm sorry we don’t have tables, just high tops!” (Almost as bad as booths, feels like I'm sitting with a post up my ass)

Talk about a horrible feeling, not only can everyone there here the discussion, but now I have to remark to my group that I'm sorry but I can’t eat here. I hate disappointing people. I hate being embarrassed. This is both, soul crushing.

So we still end up getting food from there and taking it home, but I just couldn’t help but feel like a waste of space, like a burden to my girlfriend and her friends, worthless. (Thankfully my GF is Awesome and wanted to punch the hostess in the face>;)

Talk about a hit in the face, a hard piece of pride to swallow, like cheap stringy meat. A reminder that my weight effects everything I do, and I'm sick of it.

1 comment:

  1. which is why you have decided to do something about it! I am so proud of you!!!!! I am with Sarah I would have wanted to punch her in the face too!

    LaLaLindy

    ReplyDelete